A Repost button allows other users to share your entries on LiveJournal. It inserts your entry as it is directly into their personal journal with a single click of their mouse.
If you wish to share your own entry from your personal journal, or if you wish to share an entry to a community, you can use the "Embed" button of the sharing feature
When you add a Repost button to your entry, it appears as a single button followed by a counter that shows how many times that entry has been reposted. Clicking that counter brings up a list of all the users who have reposted the entry.
Entries that you have reposted to your journal list the original entry author and place a repost icon
alongside the entry subject. To remove an entry that you have reposted to your journal you can either click on the Repost button again or click on the "Delete repost" link that appears instead of the Edit entry or Edit tags links.
Features of reposting
- Simplicity: Adding the button to your entry only takes a couple of button presses for you, or a short line of code, and reposting your entry only takes a single mouse click for your readers.
- Single conversation: All comments to the reposted entry, and all statistics about readers of the reposted entry, belong to your original entry. Any changes you make to your entry will be reflected in the reposted entries. Your name and userpic will appear alongside the reposted entry and not the name and userpic of the reposter. The reposter cannot add or change anything in the body of the entry.
- Security: The reposted entry respects the security of the original entry - if you change a public entry to friends-only or private, the reposted entry will disappear from the reposter's journal. If a friends-only entry is reposted, only those who could see it on your journal will be able to see it on the journal of the reposter.
Adding a Repost button to your entry
- On the old New Entry page: You can add a Repost button by clicking on the "Insert Social Buttons" button in the toolbar, selecting "Repost" from the list of available buttons and clicking "Insert".
- In the HTML editor: add the following code
<lj-like buttons="repost" />into your entry where you want the button to appear.
- On the new Post Editor: you can enable Repost as a part of "Likes panel", in the "Additional settings" of the "Tune in and publish" menu.