Why am I receiving a "Cannot contact server" error when I try to use my client?
When your client locks up or produces a Cannot contact server error when you try to log in, the most common reasons are problems with firewalls, proxies, and the LiveJournal web site.
March 13th, 2007 (bridgetester)
What is a downloadable client? Where can I get one?
offer the same posting features as the web client, along with other options (downloading entries, drafts of entries, friends list tracking, friends page tracking
, removing misencoded characters, signatures, and substituting text or images in lj user tags). Since every client has different options, you should consult your client's documentation for specific details about its features.
November 23rd, 2007 (burr86)
Why is my client flashing?
Certain downloadable clients
and Permanent users about new entries on your Friends page. Common alert methods include a flashing icon, a pop-up dialog box, or a sound. For information on disabling or changing alert settings for this alert, consult the documentation for your client.
If you can't see any new entries after your client alerts you about new entries, this is most likely caused by a:
- Protected Entry: Someone on your Friends list posted a private or protected entry that you cannot see. (The protocol that tells the client that there are updates does not distinguish between various security levels.)
- Recent Friends page: Someone on your Friends list posted a recent entry you have already seen because you reloaded your Friends page right before the alert.
- Edited Entry: Someone on your Friends list edited an existing entry.
November 22nd, 2006 (burr86)
Can I update my LiveJournal with a client from another site?
In general, clients that are specifically written for LiveJournal are most likely to work with the site. Such clients are available
for a wide variety of different platforms. However, if your platform is not supported or if you wish to use a particular client, then you may be able to.
April 8th, 2006 (burr86)
How do I update my journal using Nokia Photos?
You can use Nokia Photos
(formerly Nokia Lifeblog) to update your journal with your mobile phone or a desktop client. Enter http://www.livejournal.com/interface/atom
as the server address and use your LiveJournal username and password. After you set up Nokia Photos with the appropriate information, it will automatically update the list of all journals where you have posting access.
- Text: All LiveJournal users can use Nokia Photos to post text updates.
- Images: Paid, Plus, and Permanent users can also use Nokia Photos to post images through ScrapBook, LiveJournal's image hosting service.
- Videos: Although Nokia Photos supports posting video clips, LiveJournal only supports posting video clips with a text link or direct embedding.
July 8th, 2008 (marta)
Back to the FAQ listing
Back to the FAQ search page
Back to the support area