An adult content setting is an optional setting for entries, journals, and communities that may contain content unsuitable for minors.
This rating applies to graphic or explicit content (depicting nudity, sexuality, violence in images and language) that is appropriate only for adults, and is not suitable for viewers under the age of 18 years old. This setting does not convey in any way that this content is considered obscene in the legal definition of the term.
Using Content Flags
- Entry Posters: While posting or editing, you have the option to set your entry as having adult content.
- Entry Viewers: Logged-in viewers with accounts more than a month old can use the Flag icon on public entries to flag another entry, journal, or community as having adult content. This will send the report to a moderation queue. Once content (an entry, journal, or community) has been flagged by several users it will be sent to the Abuse Prevention Team for review. If the Abuse Prevention Team determines that the content does have material unsuitable for minors, they will set the adult content flag and the content will be unavailable to users under 18.
- Journal Owners and Community Maintainers: You have the option to set your account as having adult content. It is recommended to set this for your community if at least half of the total entries have graphic and explicit content (images or text). While creating a community, you can set it at either level with Step 8 on the Community Creation page (Designate this community as containing adult-oriented material); you can also set the the Adult Content Flag option for a community or journal on the Display tab of the My Account Settings page.
Automatic Cuts and Interstitial Pages
On Friends pages, flagged entries, and all entries in flagged journals and communities, will be completely hidden behind lj-cut tags for logged out users and logged in users under the age of 18.
For accounts registered to those under the age of 18 or those viewing while not logged in the entries will have additional interstitial pages with content warnings:
- Explicit Adult Content: [You are about to view content that may only be appropriate for adults.]
Entry viewers have a "Viewing Adult Content" account option (on the Display tab
of the My Account Settings page). All entries which are flagged by other people are sent to a moderation queue and reviewed by the Abuse Prevention Team. Entries which have a flag set will be collapsed for underage users or adults who have chosen to collapse adult content. Accounts registered to those 18 and over will be defaulted to not collapse content. Logged in users whose age is unknown will be asked to confirm their age to view the content.
Viewing Entries with Intermediate pages
Those viewing while not logged in will see an intermediate page with a content level warning before viewing an entry, journal, or community set as Adult Concepts or Explicit Adult. Those under 13 will be automatically blocked, while others must confirm their age (at least 14 or 18 years old respectively) before viewing.
- All logged out users will be required to confirm their age before they can view the content.
- Logged in users above 18 will not see any intermediate content level pages.
- Logged in users under the age limits (14 for Adult Concepts, 18 for Explicit Adult) will be blocked from viewing flagged content.
This option is found on the Display tab
of the settings page under the Safe Search Filtering section where you can choose to filter adult content from search results.
- Underage users will see an adult content warning when clicking to flagged/journals or communities. They cannot be invited to or join communities set as having adult content.
- Users must have a birthday registered which reflects an age of 18 or older to join adult communities