%LJ::DISABLED is a hash that defines parts of the installation that
are CPU or database-intensive as “active” or “inactive”.
The following list briefly explains each option.
- The “Find Users by Similar Interests” feature.
- The user Directory, which houses some of the largest and slowest database queries.
- Logs the ten most recent updates to the
- The statistic gathering and graph generation portions of the maintenance jobs
genstatspics. By default this is on. This option is to resolve errors people get because
genstats was partially disabled for
LiveJournal.com, which would cause problems when the images
attempted to be generated.
- Logs the ten most recently created journals to the
- Show the received and posted comment counts for each account on the
- Show the “Add to Memories” button on comment pages.
- Search public RSS entries using a link from the
page to an off-site search engine.
- Allows users to log-in to a community account. When community logins are disabled, all community maintenance
is operated through the user account maintaining the community.
- Show the “Tell a Friend” button on comment pages.
- Show client usage statistics, for the last thirty days, on the
- Show the clients a user has used, on their
- Re-direct a user to
key actions if the
badpassword userprop, used to mark an account as having
a poor password, is set. If used, the re-direct is not done.
- Enable AJAX comment management ([un]freeze, [un]screen) through a pop-up box.
- Enable “Popular Interests” link at
- Enable running of maintenance tasks by
- Enable the meme-tracking feature for users to view a list of URLs referenced in journal entries.
- Enable the “Nudge a Friend” button
userinfo.bml, for users to “nudge” a friend to update again.
- Show the “Portal”, which acts as a one-stop-shop of features, for users.
- Enable query buffering for high-load sites, by
- Use older CAPTCHAs method, which automated tools may
find easier to guess, for human checks instead of using reCAPTCHA.
- Enable the
FCKeditor-based rich text
- Enable the Schools and Schools Directory feature.
- Enable entry tagging for users to categorize and label entries.
- Prompt users to restore from a saved draft at
update.bml. It is cleared after a successful post.
- Enable the “Userpic Factory”, which lets users re-size/edit their userpics as they upload them.
- Enable the userpic selector, allowing users (with the userpicselect cap) to browse and select a userpic to use when commenting, from
an AJAX-based pop-up menu.
- Let users enter their current location into a box on the
- Enable cleaning of possibly hazardous CSS from user styling, to prevent cross-site scripting.
- Enable tracking of types of user activity on a per-hour basis, such as “$u had login activity during this hour”.
Active user is a user who has hit a LiveJournal page while logged-in, within the specified time period. The feature requires memcached.
- Enable the event timing system (backend feature).
- Enable ability for users (with
edit_comments usercap) to edit
their comments. A comment cannot be edited if it has been replied to or frozen.
- Enable logging/action when an event occurs on the site (backend feature); integrates with other tools like TheSchwartz.
- Enable tracking of viewings of the individual FAQs from logged-in users.
- Use TheSchwartz to notify users when a friends change event occurs (like somebody removes them from their friends list).
- Enable the “Popular with Friends” feature
(for those with
- Enable ignoring of Apache
.htaccess files by Apache / mod_perl.
- Show friends in a graph format at
- Enable the hook that checks for whether a user has opted to view the control strip or “navigation strip” on-site.
- Embed media into entries using
ESN for users to get notifications on “events”, like
a new entry posted to a particular community, or comments in any thread/journal.
- Enable an AJAX user-interface on
ESN feature options.
- Poll the servers at intervals for updates to user
ESN events under
These relate to user-actions, such as a new comment posted on a particular entry.
- Enable RSS feed of comments (if the user has
latest_comments_rss usercap) on journals.
- Allows users to set their
Last.fm username and have the 'Current Music' field automatically filled in from
Last.fm, when posting a new entry.
- Display the
ESN compose new user-to-user message form on
- Enable ability for users (with
mass_privacy usercap) to edit entries en masse, at
- Transitioning of users from one account type to another, perhaps to a site-specific type after creating an account.
- Display the Archive folder, for archived
ESN messages, at
- Let a user flag potentially inappropriate content by re-directing the user to a form at
to submit the details to site/abuse-prevention administrators.
- Let users filter adult concepts and/or explicit adult content from appearing in search results.
- Allow subscribing to official site communication events, such as an entry in one of the official communities on-site.
- Display the LJTalk Jabber icon on
- Enable privacy defaults for minors that override or disable regular privacy setting options; used with userprops like
- Automatically re-load changed library files without stopping/starting Apache if the machine is set up as a development server.
You could disable automatic re-loading to better simulate a live, production server.
- Enable community interest lists.
- Show brief description of a community beneath the community name on
interests.bml search results. Users can write the description (up to 100 characters) at the
- Use memcached for reluser relationships information, through the
- Cache Memories keyword counts in memcached.
- Enable named permalinks, that is:
http://example.com/this_is_a_named_uri.html (not yet implemented).
- Allow custom-defined offsite journal search, created through a hook of the same name. This is in addition to “feedster_search”, which can still be separately disabled.
- Use a fade-in/fade-out effect on Portal boxes.
- Continue to show buttons on the rich text editor that have been disabled.
- Allow QuickReply to be built in to S2 layers.
- Global flag to enable the SMS messaging feature (and its user-interface) for users.
- Show the “Subscribe me to my SMS posts via SMS” button to users.
- Enable checking for how many SMS messages a user has sent out of their quota.
- Enable SMS user-interface for users. This enables links and management pages.
- Enable the
syncitems client protocol mode, without restarting Apache.
- Show option on
editinfo.bml) to ping
weblogs.com each time the user posts a new entry to their journal (if they have the
ESN e-mail templates mechanism.